This European Commission report presents the findings of the ‘Municipal Waste Compliance-Promotion Exercise 2014-2015’ project, which forms part of a broader strategy aiming to improve the compliance and implementation of EU waste legislation and support member states in achieving compliance.
The report includes road maps delivered by Eunomia Research & Consulting Ltd on what eight Member States in Europe should do to improve their waste management systems and ensure compliance with the waste framework directive and landfill directive. It follows a previous study which involved a screening exercise of waste management practices in all member states and reviews of ten countries experiencing some difficulties complying with the EU acquis.
The study covers Ireland, Malta, Cyprus, Portugal, Spain, Slovenia, Hungary and Croatia, and is based on project work including:
- A research and consultation phase to produce fact sheets detailing current systems for each country
- A series of workshops to facilitate discussions with key stakeholders in each country, to confirm outputs for the road maps
Eunomia undertook the project with support from the following sub-contractors:
- ENT Environment and Management
- EPEM S.A. Environmental Planning Engineering and Management
- IVL Swedish Environmental Institute
- TBU Environmental Engineering Consultants
- Environmental Research Institute, Slovenia
This report is available free of charge. Press the orange button and supply a few details about yourself in order to access the download.