This report examines the economic and employment impacts of New York State’s deposit return system.
The report firstly examines the economic impact of, and the jobs created by, the current system. It then goes on to identify the economic and employment benefits resulting from an increase in deposit to 10c and an expanded scope to include sports drinks, energy drinks, fruit and vegetable beverages, ready-to-drink teas and coffee and wines and spirits.
Our team looked at a wide range of economic measurements, including:
- Direct jobs created: 3,275;
- Direct, indirect and induced jobs created: 5,726;
- Commodity value of deposit material: $55m;
- Value of unclaimed deposits, 80% of which goes to the state: $134m;
- Gross Value Add to the economy: $272m; and
- Tax revenue: $14m.
This report is available free of charge. Press the orange button and provide a few details about yourself to access the download.