Gareth’s core expertise centres around communications, behaviour change and stakeholder engagement.
He is a Chartered Waste Manager and his extensive consultancy experience spans 25+ years of engaging people, employees and businesses about resource efficiency, recycling, waste minimisation, energy, water and carbon reduction issues. Gareth has been at the forefront of UK behaviour change communications campaigns for recycling and waste management, having had a central role in three national campaigns – Rethink Rubbish (2002 – 2004), Recycle Now (2004 – 2008) and Recycle for Scotland (2011 – 2012).
His track record includes working with the public, private and third sectors, including large institutions such as the EU Commission, UK government departments and agencies, NHS Trusts, UK water companies, local authorities and universities on behaviour change, sustainability and resource efficiency strategies.Internationally, he has worked for the EU Commission and the Millennium Challenge Corporation delivering resource efficiency related behaviour change projects in Cyprus and Kosovo.
Gareth’s recent work includes:
- Recycling communications projects for Wokingham Borough Council and the London Borough of Enfield to support service changes;
- A trial project (including communications) to see if the public will separate Li-ion rechargeable batteries from small mixed WEEE;
- Focus group research for the London Borough of Havering;
- Waste strategy consultation for the London Borough of Lambeth;
- Developing a waste training programme for the Government of Cyprus and EU Commission;
- An employee resource efficiency campaign for the Metropolitan Police;
- Strategic recycling communications and service review and advice for Newcastle City Council;
- Residential energy efficiency behaviour change programme in Kosovo for the Millennium Challenge Corporation; and,
- Developing novel recycling engagement approaches targeting the public for Western Riverside Waste Authority in London.
Yorkshire based Gareth joined Eunomia in March 2018 after running his own independent communications consultancy, Eco-mmunication. Before that he was a Principal Consultant with Ricardo Energy & Environment (2009 – 2017) but spent much of his career at SWAP (1992 – 2006) and Resource Futures (2006 – 2007). Gareth was a Director at SWAP for 10 years and was part of the team that formed Resource Futures where he was Business Development and Marketing Director. He also had spells in mainstream public relations at Ptarmigan PR as Head of Environment (2007 – 2008) and at BRAHM PR, where he started his career as an Account Executive in 1990.