Duncan’s core areas of expertise include decarbonisation, energy efficiency, renewable energy, green finance, life cycle assessment, circular economy, resource efficiency and green design.
He is a Chartered Environmentalist and Fellow of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment, ESOS Lead Energy Assessor and registered Environmental Auditor with 25 years’ experience in environmental consultancy.
Duncan has worked with both public and private sector clients including UK public sector bodies and programmes such as Envirowise, Scottish Enterprise, HIE and Zero Waste Scotland, as well as a wide range of private sector companies such as Highland Spring, Gates Power Transmission, 2Sisters, Marine Harvest, DS Smith, Sandvik and many others. He has also worked with the Scottish Government and a wide range of local authorities.
Duncan’s recent work has included projects for:
- Green Purposes Company, researching the green impact of investment for the special shareholder in the Green Investment Group;
- Şişecam Group, developing a Corporate Integrated Waste Minimisation Programme to facilitate the company’s goal of achieving zero waste by 2030;
- Defra, researching the scale of resource efficiency opportunities in the Construction, Metals and Chemicals sectors of the UK economy;
- Scottish Government and West Harris Trust, designing and implementing an integrated on-site energy management system for Pairc Niseaboist, Horgabost, Isle of Harris;
- Resource Efficient Scotland, identifying, quantifying and reporting opportunities for resource, energy and carbon efficiency improvements;
- Step Energy, developing a system to modulate electricity consumption based on live and forecast grid carbon intensity; and,
- Paul Hastings LLP, Bairds Malt, CCG, BBI, Alexander Inglis, QubeGB and tmp.worldwide, conducting ESOS compliance audits identifying and implementing savings through energy efficiency.
Duncan joined Eunomia in October 2017, having previously managed Ecodyn Limited, which he started in 2000; before that working as an environmental consultant for Wren & Bell (1997 to 2000) and RPS (1996), and as a Trade Effluent Officer for Scottish Water (1994 to 1996).