David has 25 years’ experience in policy, regulation and market development for all things related to water and the natural environment. His particular focus is how to enable innovative investment partnerships based on natural capital that will create value for policy makers, developers, local communities and businesses.
David has delivered national programmes of economic appraisal and championed the reinvigoration of catchment-based approaches across England. He has led programmes of strategic planning and multi-million-pound investment to improve the environment. He has expertise in environmental policy, water governance and regulation, particularly in relation to financing, investment planning and strategy of UK water companies.
David’s recent and current projects include:
- Analysis of market opportunities to develop resource partnerships for Natural England’s Catchment Sensitive Farming initiative;
- Market development for an innovative environmental trading service that will save water companies millions of pounds;
- Stakeholder engagement and investment case development for a natural capital strategy in the North Devon Natural Capital Pioneer;
- Design, implementation and monitoring of a novel social prescription, based around river restoration;
- Development of a coalition of partners and measurement strategy to eliminate problem plastics from the East of England by 2030;
- Analysis of market opportunity and expansion strategies for a group of consultancies dealing with biodiversity enhancement;
- Analysis of the economic and technical case for changes to regulation of phosphate recovery in water company sewage sludge management strategies;
- Assessment of the economic, environmental and financial case to remake the River Wye in High Wycombe;
- Assessment of the regulatory and compliance challenges faced by water companies in light of a range of post-Brexit agricultural trade and environmental policy scenarios; and,
- Customer research and engagement with senior stakeholders to assess the business case for rolling out natural capital-based approaches to increase resilience and improved decision making by a major English water company.
Before joining Eunomia in April 2017, David worked with management consultants, Indepen. His work provided advice to Government and water companies across the UK on innovative approaches to environmental management including creative approaches to funding, building new market opportunities and corporate strategy.
Prior to this, David worked in head office of the Environment Agency in a range of senior management positions, latterly directing delivery of the Water Framework Directive and the River Basin Management Planning process in England. He has over 20 years’ experience of catchment management and environmental regulation, including policy development at UK and European levels.
David has an MBA from the University of Bath and is a Natural Sciences graduate from Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge.