Waste Crime: Tackling Britain’s Dirty SecretBack
This report, commissioned by the Environmental Services Association Education Trust, assesses the economic impact of waste crime to exceed £500m and puts forward recommendations for a joint approach to tackling it. These include:
- Increase and protect enforcement budgets to provide a minimum of:
- £25m for the Environment Agency; and
- £10m for HMRC and other relevant departments and agencies;
- Support the implementation of the Sentencing Council’s new guidance
- Tackle tax evasion by introducing a testing system to check waste is correctly classified and charged at the right rate of tax;
- require waste operators to make provision for the legal disposal of waste they receive in case of business failure, or of clean-up in case of fire.
This report is available free of charge. Press the orange button and supply a few details about yourself in order to access the download.