Embodied Energy: A Driver for the Circular Economy?Back
Zero Waste Europe commissioned the report Use of Embodied Energy as an Indicator of Product Performance in Policy from Eunomia and created a summary of this research in Embodied Energy: A Driver for the Circular Economy.
The full length report considered the potential of the following:
- An embodied energy indicator for Municipal Solid Waste (MSW);
- An embodied energy indicator applied to industrial waste streams; and,
- A product-based embodied energy indicator.
This briefing paper, composed by Zero Waste Europe’s Communications and Programme Officer Matthew Franklin answers the following questions:
- What is embodied energy and why does it matter?
- The difference between embodied energy and energy efficiency;
- Product policy in Europe;
- What can we learn from Product Environmental Footprint (PEF) Pilots?
- Could embodied energy be incorporated into the Energy Labelling Directive?
The study then makes six proposals for an embodied energy indicator.
This study is available free of charge. Press the orange button and supply a few details about yourself in order to access the download.