Founder Raps at UN Ocean Conference
Dominic was invited to moderate the panel on ‘Solving the Ocean Plastic Challenge’ sponsored by ‘Parley for the Ocean’ an organisation that aims to use collaboration and innovation to combat rising marine plastic waste.
The event, held at German House, was part of the wider UN Ocean Conference programme and brought together five speakers, from different backgrounds, all with a shared interest in reducing the rising tide of marine plastic pollution. Panel members included;
- Scientist Dr. Mark Anthony Browne;
- Artist and Film maker Chris Jordan;
- Research and Explorer Marcus Erikson;
- Explorer and Designer David De Rothschild; and
- Film maker Louie Psihoyos.
The gathering sought to answer the following questions:
- Why are changes not happening more quickly?
- What are the step by step actions companies can take – short, medium and long-term?
- What are the challenges and obstacles businesses are confronted with?
- What do businesses want from politicians and international organisations?
Cyrill Gutsch Founder of Parley for the Oceans and discussion sponsor also introduced the audience to the Parley AIR Strategy. A.I.R. standing for; Avoid plastic, Intercept plastic waste, Redesign plastic materials and products. Using this mantra, the organisation aims to tackle the global marine plastic pollution crisis through creativity, collaboration, and eco-innovation. They provide a space and network where creators, thinkers, and leaders come together to raise awareness for the beauty and fragility of our oceans and collaborate on projects that can end their destruction.
A.I.R. was well received by the panel, audience and wider conference, with many pledging to support the cause alongside Eunomia’s Founder who – in keeping with the creative atmosphere on the day – finished the seminar by leading a rap of Parley’s rallying cry.
Photo Courtesy of Parley for the Oceans.